Welcome Friends

Welcome to my funny little world. Sometimes it's a bit sad, sometimes it's a bit mad, but I try to give you some uplifting words every day. And in amongst them I'll give you a little philosophy and celebrate just being. If you like a good bedtime story or you are just curious about your life or mine or you want to be encouraged, then come on in, the water's lovely!

Sunday 18 January 2009

Priceless

Today was a priceless day. It was a family day.

It started with my small boy coming into bed with us while he drank his milk and we had our tea. After getting dressed we all had our breakfast together. Hubby and I had Shreddies (you see, all you Americans, we don't all eat toast...) and Squeaky had "Stones." It's an oat cereal and he thinks it looks like little stones - it does. SO he calls them stones. Squeaky loves stones, loves playing with them, stacking them, finding them, bringing them home...

So after breakfast he goes out to take our sickly labrador for a walk with his daddy. Sick dog is much better, far bouncier and continuing to take her medication well and eating like a labrador! She is still a patchwork dog - covered in shaved spots where she had drips and had to have blood taken. Her tummy was completely shaved for her ultrasound poor thing.

We then went on a treat to the swimming pool. Squeaky has been swimming since he was 3 or 4 months old. He doesn't quite swim yet. Some 2 year olds can. But he loves it and we had a great time. And then a FAB family treat - the Zoo!

I'm not terribly into animals in zoos, I have to be quite honest, but the hubby is, only because it is a treat, a family time. Small children like seeing animals, it appeals to them in some way. Later at home, he managed to remember some of the animals he saw. It's a hard task for someone who can only just talk. We ate chips and biscuits in the cafe - junk food not healthy snacks. This was a TREAT remember!

And how priceless was our day? I hope I remember days like today. It frightens me that I may not. My small person had a lovely time. He was with his mummy and daddy enjoying life, being taken care of, being loved. Maybe later in life he will tell me he doesn't like swimming and zoos. But today he did and that's enough for me.
One or two of you may enjoy this photo. It's a little while ago now but it shows Squeaky continuing his rugby training even while on holiday. He is VERY dedicated!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Helen
    You've been busy with lots of blogs. They've been interesting to catch up on. Sounds like you had a lovey day and indeed it was a lovely day today. Glad you had a great time. Your comments on happiness in a previous blog made me think of two American psychologist whom you may know - Dr Martin Seligman, who's "Authentic Happiness" website has many interesting questionnaires and insights (needless to say I did some of the questionnaires out of curiosity to see what the outcome would be) and Jonathan Haidt who wrote the "Happiness Hypothesis". Definitely happiness is a state of being and with so much doom and gloom in the newspapers recently (don't they thrive on fear and anxiety?) it's great to see blogs which promote wellbeing and happiness and just 'being'. Anyhow have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rona, if I stopped to consider all the crap there is out there, my head would fill up too quickly. Thankfully, happy thoughts take up less processing power so I can continue operating at a normal speed. Negative thoughts clutter up the hard drives of our minds, they are just unhelpful junk.

    I'll be following up the "doom and gloom" theme later. And I will check out Seligman and Haidt. I may have heard of the Happiness Hypothesis but not read it yet.

    ReplyDelete