Welcome Friends

Welcome to my funny little world. Sometimes it's a bit sad, sometimes it's a bit mad, but I try to give you some uplifting words every day. And in amongst them I'll give you a little philosophy and celebrate just being. If you like a good bedtime story or you are just curious about your life or mine or you want to be encouraged, then come on in, the water's lovely!

Wednesday 21 October 2009

EFT or CBT?

Heard of these?

Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). EFT is the tapping technique where you tap on points of the body in order to release emotional disturbance and upset. I have made one or two blog posts about it.

CBT is based on changing the way we think in order to change the way we feel. Very simply, you recognise a negative thought, decide why it is negative and then place a positive spin on it. Practised diligently, over time and with persistence it should help by lietrally changing your mind.

There is a fundamental difference between EFT and CBT, which a client recently pointed out to me. She has worked with CBT before and is therefore used to changing negatives into positives. EFT on the other hand focuses on all the negative thoughts, brings them into consciousness and uses the tapping system to discharge them. This bothered my client, who felt that EFT is a very negative therapy.

If you compare it to CBT, then in this respect you could say that EFT does feel rather negative. But I promise you that it works because with EFT we focus on all the negative aspects of a situation until they are dealt with, processed and the negative sting has been taken away. Some parts of life ARE negative, and may not be what we would like to deal with but if we are not overwhelmed with emotion then we are able to deal with them in a positive manner.

There is an EFT method called "Choices" which I also employ, which has a far more positive feel to it. It adds in the positive frame of mind that we want to cultivate, after we have dealt with the negative feeling. For those who enjoy CBT, this application of EFT is sure to be a winner.

Want to try EFT and feel free? There's more on my website: http://www.northamptonhypnosis.co.uk/EFT.html

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've done a synopsis on each of these as I was wondering what the differences were. I've used CBT in the past and found it very helpful when negative emotions are starting to overwhelm me. Although I've found it takes time for this change to imbed itself in ones everyday behaviour. I was interested when previously you have said that EFT was a relatively quick process to know how the brain could eradicate (ususally) decades of negative (often learned) behaviour in a short space of time. Although I guess like any type of healing (physical, mental or emotional) it depends on the individual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rona, you are testing me! OK...

    The only way the brain can quickly eradicate years of negative learned behaviour is to find out the root cause - the very first time the behaviour surfaced in response to a stimulus. Sometimes just the conscious awareness of the cause is enough. Sometimes some healing has to be done on this root cause and this can be quick, or it can take time. Other times, a lot of healing has to be experienced on many stimuli that produce the same negative behaviour.

    EFT can be quick. That is not the same as saying that it is always quick! EFT can take persistence and time. But it can also have surprising, incredible miracle-type results.

    Often the difference in feelings and emotions can take a person by surprise. "I feel different. I shouldn't feel different but I do and I don't understand it or quite believe it"

    In a strange way it can take time to learn that one does not have to be worried or fearful or anxious any more. I suppose it is like learning to trust again, trusting a different feeling.

    And yes of course, it depends on the individual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Helen - that makes sense.
    It's a bit like a giant complex computer programme which if the dot or comma is in the wrong place can lead to an unexpected outcome. Sometime one has to work back through each sub programme (ie the multiple stimuli) and at other times it is easier to identify the earliest indication of the error and reprogramme it.
    The brain is an incredibly complex organ which thankfully can be healed. Thank goodness we also see the brain as a source of emotional intelligence and not just intellectual intelligence as was the previous belief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great distinctions Helen. Choices with EFT can be so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Choices is a very good method. My other favourite EFT technique is the Movie technique. I have seen this have fabulous results.

    Thanks for popping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Andrew, only just realised it was you! I check out your blog still but you read too many books!

    ReplyDelete